Hello my lovelies,
Sometimes when I get bored of my usual breakfast oatmeal, I add some homemade apple filling to make it taste like apple pie. This recipe is very easy to make and can be adjusted to suit taste.
Ingredients (makes one jar)
- 1/4 cup of brown and caster sugar
- 5 apples
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 of a lemon
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch (can be altered according to desired thickness)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- On a tray lined with baking pour your sugar on the tray and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes. (I don’t know what this does exactly but it does make the filling taste better)
- Chop the apples into bite sized pieces. I like to chop them into cubes.
- Pop the apples into a medium pan and stir until the apples soften slight and exceed juices. Then add in the water. Cover the lid and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- By now the sugar should have been in the oven for their required length, just pop it into the pan with the apples and water. Stir until the sugar has been dissolved. Leave uncovered.
- If the filling is a little too sweet balance it out with some lemon.
- The filling should now have a runny consistency, that is a little thicker than water. I like my filling to be quite thick so I add some cornstarch until the desired thickness is achieved. Of course if you like it a little runny put less cornstarch.
- Add cinnamon and leave the filling uncovered for about 10 minutes.
And that is it a simple apple filling that you can store in the fridge until needed.